Sunday, February 17, 2008

Booty and the Beats


I'd stand under that umbrella, I can tell you that. We decided last week to veer rather far off from our usual gamut of musical stylings to find out what the hip-hop community has been up lately. What we found is that it is up to nothin' but booties, yo. If it's not about the booty, it's sung by a girl with a fabulous one, like my girl Rihanna (above and below). She not only has a ridiculously fun album in Good Girl Gone Bad (how can a community such as ours not love a girl who uses that as a title?) but has the body to boot(y).

I can't even tell you how many times in the past seven days I've heard songs about girls in apple-bottom jeans and smacking or shaking those bottoms. My current favorite (I cannot believe I am confessing to this) is "Low" by Flo-Rida (feat. T-Pain). It's catchy as anything, not to mention has the arse-shaking chorus:





She had them Apple Bottom Jeans
Boots with the fur [With the fur]
The whole club lookin at her
She hit the floor [She hit the floor]
Next thing you know
Shawty got low low low low low low low low

Them baggy sweat pants
And the Reeboks with the straps [With the straps]
She turned around and gave that big booty a smack [Ayy]
She hit the floor [She hit the floor]
Next thing you know
Shawty got low low low low low low low low

So we've got a girl with bum-hugging jeans, a line about straps (you can make it sound like you're singing about another kind of strap if you're singing along), big booty smacking, and a crazy beat. We've been driving around in our new car (if I haven't mentioned it already, it's the sweetest little black Mazda RX-8... VaRRoooom!) singing and dancing along. We've even worked out a bit of a routine to the chorus. I do the main lines, he does the bits in the paratheses and the harmony. He also gives me a good slap in time with the booty smack line. Yea-uh! I'm also trying to incorporate the line "with the fur" into ordinary conversation, as a means of agreeing, or as a way to say hello or goodbye, like "Go you Huskies" in Mamet's State and Main.

Oh, hip-hop. I deserve a big booty slap for thinking it wasn't worth my time. Think I'll go put on my own apple bottom jeans and see what kind of action I can shake up. Boots with the fur!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, excellent points. I believe when my co-workers say that they enjoyed the weather this weekend, I'll nod and smile "Yes...WITH the fur."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be fantastic, Tim! Keep the fur alive! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol fab post....hehe.

    Be that as it may, and considering the fact that I'm a suburban gangsta' wannabe, I do dig some hip-hop (nas, kanye west, common, talib kweli, mos def, etc).

    But that Flo-Rida tune induces migraines when I hear it.

    Almost as bad (so bad it's good!) as Akon's appropriately-titled for this blog tune called "Smack That." Check that booty grinder out.

    Also suggest you check out Kanye West's new club banger: "The Good Life."

    DJ Cherry Red D-
    "The Cherry Red Report"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby,

    The new clips on your website look very interesting. A welcome addition. Keep up the good work.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me. Say hi, share thoughts, opinions, or just your info - I'm happy to add your spanking blog to my blogroll.